Friday, April 15, 2011

Music Woes (Rant)

I love the convenience of digital music.  I really do.   I love random play amongst 1,000s of songs.  I love that I can run and jump and the music never skips a beat (although I recommend turning off "shake to skip" option on your phone).  But I hate how its all tied up.  Let me be clear from the start that what I am talking about is music I legally own - whether purchased the old fashioned way - CDs or purchased electronically from i-Tunes.  Less than 10% of my digital music collection has come from other sources (e.g. someone else's CD for e.g.).  So it seriously seriously annoys me that I do not have complete control over my own music.  I have computers and iPods and iPhones and I want all my music to follow me where I wish.  Without stuffing around.  I just want it to work.  And if I buy a song on my iPhone while out and about I want it to synch to the rest of my music collection without issue.  Why can't mobileme synchronise my music the way it synchs my calendar?  I am not sharing my music, it is mine.  My husband has his.  I have mine.  I may purchase for my children but otherwise it's just mine!
In fact I have 1 bunch of songs that I did not buy and it never ever gives me grief.  Enough to make me STOP doing the right thing and start doing the WRONG thing.
What is also really frustrating is that I am perfectly aware I am not the target of this music industry driven stupidity.  But I am the one that suffers, because I don't have time to figure out ways to get around it I just give up and be frustrated that I can't use my music the way I wish easily.  Meanwhile the targets of this stupidity e.g. teens and 20 somethings are all busily file-sharing and solving these issues and enjoying their illegal music.
Meanwhile I stop buying music because I can't use and get cranky every time I think of it.
So please music industry, just let me use my music effortlessly and I promise not to go to the dark side!

No comments: