Thursday, April 28, 2011

Don't call me baby

My youngest child hates babies.  A lot.  Unlike his older brother who actually has some experience of babies in the house he most definitely does not want a younger brother or sister.  Which is convenient as I don't want to be pregnant ever again.  Or have a newborn.  And especially do not want a toddler ever again.  A 6 year old and a 4 year old are good enough for me thank you very much.  So this means my baby is no longer a baby.  I will never ever have another baby!  What a strange thought.  At least 80% of that thought is relief and 10% sadness and 10% weirdness.
They play nicely together (ok most of the time) now.  This has taken four years! Four years!  For most of that I wondered at everyone's advice that every child should have a sibling where possible.  I thought it was a great big conspiracy because how is it not harder at every point to have more than one child?  Now I know.  But only when they play nicely together.
It still is hard.  Don't get me wrong.  And sometimes them playing nicely together drives me just as crazy as them fighting (oh my goodness the noise, the obsession with bodily functions and parts!).  But it is so lovely when they skip along together giggling as they get into some mischief or another together.
They are brothers.  That's why.
Love how at this age a great holiday is a trip to Canberra by car then a visit to the zoo and then back to a hotel.  They loved the hotel.  Of course I chose a suite so they had a room together separate from ours and most importantly an indoor heated pool.  They played in the water for hours!  Then quick shower change into clothes and a visit to the bar where they had apple juice with ice and parents had a glass of chardonnay.  Dinner at hotel (blessed be kids menus) restaurant then up to bed.  Asleep by 8PM.  Next day we went to the war memorial which is also a museum (my boys are army mad) and a hands on discovery centre where the kids play in a submarine, a trench and a helicopter.  Then fuel up on petrol and McDonalds and drive home.  They both agree it is a perfect holiday.
And now back to marking.

No comments: