Saturday, March 5, 2011

How to Lose Weight in 6 months

I lost 8 kilos in 6 months!  Let me tell you how!  I just did 2 things that anyone can do.

1) I restricted my calories to 1200 calories a day .  I didn't particularly obsess about what into making those calories.  Although I have to say the less processed the food the less calories there were and the longer I felt full so I naturally drifted towards cooking at home, taking along my own lunch (and snacks!) and generally eating less processed food.  But this way there was no good or bad foods.  I ate icecream most days (bless Bulla chocolate coated icecreams) and usually a glass of white wine too.

I kept track of calories using www.myfitnesspal.com which made it relatively simple.
Importantly I don't fret if I go over but I try not to go over by more than 10% more than 3 times a week.

2) I moved more.  I started the C25K (couch to five km) program on my i-phone - it is also available in other formats try here as a starting point http://www.c25k.com/  It took me 11 weeks to complete the 9 week program. (Life interruptus in the beginning)

As I logged the kms running I switched to Runkeeper which enables me to track my overall kms, times, location of runs etc etc.  I love a good record.  It tells me since I made the switch in January that I have run 24 times, logging 120kms and burnt over 7,000 calories.

The more I did of 2) the more calories I burnt which then enabled me to eat more while still losing weight! Now if I know I am going out to dinner or lunch I go for a run to burn some calories so I can eat and drink (within reason) without "dieting".

I run mostly in the evenings but increasingly whenever I can grab a chance.  I run to stay fit, I run to burn calories and I run because I now love it.  But the love affair with running is a whole other entry.

My goal is to hit 54 kilos - a clean 10 kg loss from my starting weight.  And before you start screaming about me being too thin I am only 153 cm tall and fairly light framed.

Anyone can do it.  There is no magic just control consumption and exert energy.  Physics will do the rest!

No comments: