Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ran like a mother

I ran the Mother's Day classic last Sunday.  The warm up by the organisers was harrowing.  I did not need "The Wind Beneath My Wings" to get me in the mood.  All it did was make me feel fragile.  But I did run my personal best time: 29:37.  This was my ultimate goal - to run the 5K in under half an hour.  So I can tick that one off.  I did learn a couple of things though.  Don't forget to train on uneven surfaces.  I lost heaps of time on uneven surfaces because I was too busy looking down and worrying I'd twist my ankle and be unable to finish.  Thus now I have incorporated uneven surfaces into my training.  Including running on sand this last Tuesday (brrr) and running on the grass next to my favourite running path from time to time.  However ultimately I was beaten by both other mothers I am friends with.  So game ON sisters!  Have to beat them at the next run!  End of the Month we have the Bulli Burn 5K run so I want to compete in that too!
The other thing I learnt in that race is I am too polite.  I need to not let people pass me so easily - especially not kids running who then run so close in front you can't run normally.  No more Miss Nice Runner!
Yesterday I logged my first ever 10K run.  It felt so good.  I could easily have kept going but had to get to a birthday party so had to stop and come home.  I actually thought it felt better than 5K runs.  Have to think about that one.  Maybe my extra fat is helpful for that?  I may have a healthy waistline and BMI now but I still have some "junk in the trunk" I carry around.  My time wasn't bad either.  Not too far from simply double my 5K best.  I am thinking that therefore my body has been lying to me that it is at peak performance on my 5K runs.  Lying liar!
Already planning my next run...

No comments: